Beginning in 2017, the Playhouse is launching The Sandbox, a reading series of new theatrical work that aligns with our mission to create contemporary, relevant, and approachable art. Join us as we support the development of new work for the stage!
All readings are open to the public and free of charge. See below for more information on the series.
Carla only has her career in mind when she agrees to tutor the son of America’s greatest architect, hoping it’ll lead to a job at his firm. But after meeting the architect and his wacky family, she quickly realizes she’s in for a lot more than she bargained for.
- Carlye Pollack (CARLA JONES)
- Peter DeFaria (MARSHALL PARINGTON)*
- Laurie Carter Rose (VANESSA PARINGON)
- Vared Hankin (APOLLA PARINGTON)
- Riley McIlveen (FRANK PARINGTON
- Joe Chazaray (LLOYD PARINGTON)
- Jake Jones (ZACH / MINISTER)
- Eddie Mawere (NATE)
- Jami Stone (Stage Directions)
*Appears courtesy of Actors Equity Association
Admission is free but reservations are strongly recommended.
This production generously sponsored by:
Support the Sandbox
The Sandbox readings are free for you to attend, but they are not free for us to produce. If you would like to support the development of new work by emerging artists, please consider making a donation to support the Playhouse by donating online, by mail, or over the phone. If you would like to make a larger commitment by becoming a Sandbox reading series sponsor, call 312.374.3196 or email Dana Besmanoff, Development & Sales Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
Interested in having your new work in The Sandbox? Please submit a PDF with the following information:
• A one-paragraph synopsis of the play
• A one-paragraph statement explaining how the play fits into the theatre’s mission.
• The playwright’s bio
• Production history
• A one-line description of each character
• Playwright’s contact information
• A 10-page scene from the script – do not send the entire play.
Please note: Submissions that do not conform to the guidelines cannot be considered.