Windy City Playhouse is accepting submissions for its Monday evening play reading series, FOR ARTISTS BY ARTISTS. All submissions must be full-length comedies aligned with the theater’s mission of presenting contemporary, relevant, approachable plays accessible to audiences of all kinds.
Please download the PDF below for instructions about the application process, rehearsals, promotion, and the performance.
Please submit a PDF with the following information:
• A one-paragraph synopsis of the play
• A one-paragraph statement explaining how the play fits into the theatre’s mission.
• The playwright’s bio
• Production history
• A one-line description of each character
• Playwright’s contact information
• A 10-page scene from the script – do not send the entire play.
Submissions that do not conform to the guidelines cannot be considered.
Rehearsal, Performance, and Promotion
• Readings will take place on Monday nights
• Readings will be rehearsed at the Playhouse for five hours on each of the two days prior to and on the day of the reading
• Playwrights will have the option of selecting a director or working with the Playhouse to choose a director
• Playwrights have the option of selecting some or all of their actors. At the director’s request, the Playhouse can also supply a list of actors and resumes
• Actors and directors will not be compensated by Windy City Playhouse
• The reading series will be promoted on Windy City Playhouse’s website and social
media. Playwrights will provide the following information: Title of the play, playwright’s name, a one to two sentence description of the play, and the names of the director and any actors selected by the playwright
to download a submission application form