Windy City Playhouse seeks a collaborative, compassionate, and forward-thinking individual to fill the role of Production Manager.
This full-time position leads the Production Department, stewarding the creative process for all of the Playhouse’s signature, immersive productions, as well as joins the leadership team, a cohort comprised of the Artistic Director, Managing Director, and Audience Services Manager that develops long-term planning for the organization. As the Playhouse enters its fifth anniversary season, this person has the chance to be part of a rapidly growing company that is creating groundbreaking theatrical work for the city of Chicago and beyond.
- Serve as Production Manager for all mainstage and satellite programming
- Oversee individual productions’ budgets, expense reports, and disbursement of advancement and reimbursement funds
- Maintain contracts and up-to-date tax documentation for all production-related employees and contractors
- Steward the uniquely collaborative process for immersive productions, shepherding conversations between playwrights, directors, designers, technicians, and other artists
- Consult with Managing & Artistic Directors on season planning and development of annual production budget
- Maintain diverse portfolio of designers and technicians, actively seeking out Chicago artists interested in and able to meet the unique needs of audience-driven theater
- Oversee maintenance of production equipment
- Identify need for and implementation of major facility improvements at both flagship and South Loop location
- Serve as liaison for all major utilities and cleaning company
- Field facility rental requests
- As a member of the Leadership Team (compromised also of the Artistic Director, Managing Director, and Audience Services Manager), participate in long-term, company-wide planning and strategy development
Desired Experience, Skills, Attributes:
- 2-3 years working in a production capacity, with experience in managing budgets, calendars, and contracts
- Forward-thinking; the Playhouse specializes in immersive and otherwise audience-driven theatrical experiences. This requires someone who is willing to think outside the box to solve one-of-a-kind problems.
- A real team-player, with a willingness to support colleagues cross-departmentally; related, this person should have a genuine interest in how their colleagues’ work fits into the ecosystem of the theater as a whole.
- Results-oriented yet process-conscious; seeking someone who thinks about how to keep productions on time and under-budget, without sacrificing the creativity of the design process.
- Access to a car a plus
About Windy City Playhouse
“Experience driven. Audience First.” Windy City Playhouse is a professional theater and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, based on Chicago’s northwest side. Premiering in March of 2015 with a mission to present contemporary, relevant, and approachable art, the Playhouse has quickly become a mainstay of the Chicago theater scene. In 2018, its runaway hit, the immersive SOUTHERN GOTHIC, solidified the Playhouse as *the* Chicago theater for one-of-a-kind audience experiences. In 2019, Windy City Playhouse South opened in the South Loop’s Motor Row district. This second, satellite venue (intended exclusively for the presentation of immersive theatrical experiences) furthered the Playhouse’s goal to make theater reachable all across this great city.
Schedule & Location
Regular office hours: Monday-Friday, 10am – 6pm. Regular evening & weekend availability required especially around rehearsal, tech, and preview periods. While most work will take place at the administrative office and flagship location (located at 3014 W. Irving Park Rd.) ability and willingness to visit the South Loop location (at 2229 S. Michigan Ave.) is necessary.
Depending on experience. Competitive health care package and PTO included.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.